ISP Lifeguard Role Profile
Purpose of Role
The purpose of the Lifeguard is to ensure the overall safety of pool users during curricular programmers at Hamilton International School and to monitor and report essential matters for the effective maintenance of the pool. They will provide a quality service for all members of the school community and other user groups.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
ISP Lifeguard Key Responsibilities
- Maintain concentrated observation of the swimming pool and pool users in order to anticipate any problems that may occur. Initiate appropriate and timely communication with colleagues in order to effectively oversee the safety of pool users.
- Carry out rescues and initiate other emergency action as and when necessary. Ensure all emergency first aid equipment and pool side emergency equipment is present and working correctly.
- Contribute to the on-going development and review of swimming pool NOP’s and EAP’s as required
- Ensure any relevant qualifications required for the post are kept current and attend, on a regular basis as prescribed by the Sports & Activities Director, staff training sessions, ensuring that personal records of training are maintained and signed off by the appropriate person/s.
- Ensure that safe, clean and hygienic conditions in the pool hall and other related areas (changing rooms, shower areas, toilets etc) are appropriately maintained. Make regular inspection of these areas and communicate required actions to maintenance staff and/or other relevant contractors/individuals as required.
- Ensure that pool maintenance concerns are reported to the Sports & Activities Director /Facilities Manager at the earliest opportunity. Initiate action to reduce the potential risk associated with any specific concerns.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that the Sports Centre NOP and EAP have been read, understood and are adhered to.
- Comply with all Hamilton and departmental standing orders and procedures. Proactively contribute to the execution and development of these policies.
- Carry out any other related duties which may be assigned from time to time by the PE Leader as required.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Able to work in a team, assisting in the promotion of a positive work environment.
- An effective communicator who is able to assist others working in or using the Sports Centre.
- Able to organise and prioritise, plan and work effectively within the confines of a school environment.
- Optimistic- with a high degree of self-efficacy (a belief that you can make a difference)
- Resilient- doesn’t give up or grow discouraged in the face of challenges, set-backs and hard work; willing to take the long view
- Adaptable- able to change courses, make new plans, and try a different way; coachable and open to constructive critique
- Collegial- enjoys being part of a team, celebrates the success of others and knows how to give and receive critical friendship
- Emotional intelligence- good listener, with a sense of humour; displays genuine empathy, compassion and respect
- Enthusiastic- passionate for the subject and profession, committed to the welfare of children
- Driven- self-disciplined, with high personal standards and ambitious to learn
- Engaged with the community- aware of local and global challenges; willing to pitch in and give back
- Ethical- exercises good judgment, acts with fairness and integrity
- Detail oriented- able to ensure that ACS is ready to meet administrative requirements, standards and practices, including assessment & reporting deadlines
Qualifications and Experience
- STA Pool Safety Award essential
- First Aid at Work qualification essential
- Experience of working in a sports/leisure environment desirable
- Experience of working in a dual-use center advantageous
- Qualifications in pool plant operation desirable
- Sports coaching qualification/s desirable
- Experience at a supervisory level, with responsibility for staff, users and facilities is desirable.
- Experience of working in HR in a school
- Excellent communication and people skills at all levels
- Health and Safety Awareness
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- A dynamic, positive approach to deliver the school’s vision
- Self-motivation and ability to take initiatives
- Demonstrate an understanding of & commitment to our best practice model
- Good knowledge and information of school operations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff
- Presentation skills with the ability to present information in a concise and professional manner
- Organization skills: well organized and able to prioritize tasks and workload
- Customer service
- Critical thinking
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and motivate others
- Willing attitude to be a part of the school team
- Strong sense of professionalism
- Safeguarding and welfare of children
- A collaborative team-player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Behaviour management
- Demonstrated competency to use computer applications related to the role, including word processing, power point and spreadsheet applications
- Record keeping and report preparation
- Interpersonal skills including tact, courtesy and patience
- Customer focused
- Willingness to undertake appropriate Professional Development
- Empathetic listener
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Internationally minded
- Emotional intelligence
- Intercultural awareness, creative
- Flexible and a can-do attitude
- English is mandatory
- Arabic is an advantage
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work that is not specified in this job description. Employees are expected to be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors and telephone callers.
The school will endeavor to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled job applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition. This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with you, may be changed by the Principal to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title.
As a member of the staff of THIS you will need to comply with the below:
- Compliance with the school's Vision, Mission and Policies
- Positive Professional Relationship with all staff members are maintained.
- Contact with students is on a strictly professional basis with the physical and emotional safety of students being of paramount importance.
- The hours of work as arranged with the principal are strictly followed.
- This position entails working with information, much of which is held in confidence. Under no circumstances is this confidentiality to be compromised.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
The Hamilton International School is part of The International Schools Partnership (ISP).
The International Schools Partnership (ISP) is a growing group of committed colleagues in financially responsible schools around the world, all of which aim to be the school of choice in their local area. Learning is at the heart of everything we do for our pupils, colleagues and parents. We are committed to getting better, all the time.
ISP was founded by an experienced team of committed educationalists and commercial operators who have worked together over many years. Our growing group of private schools located in the UK, the USA & Canada, Europe, Costa Rica, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Malaysia, Mexico and Peru educate children and pupils from 2-18 years of age. We have now expanded to 48 schools delivering multiple curricula and building on local brands and reputations with around 45,000 pupils and 7,000 staff located across the globe.
We believe that successful schools are the ones that put learning at the heart of everything they do, always aiming to create rounded individuals that are able to forge successful careers and lives in a rapidly changing world. Our goal is to enable our schools as the leading school of choice in their local area. We are a truly international group working in different cultures and speaking different languages. We work across countries and cultures, too, by working with each other and with other schools and communities. At ISP we continue to engage with schools around the world who are interested in becoming part of our global group of schools and look forward to welcoming more pupils and staff to the group.
All our schools:
- Help children and pupils learn to levels that amaze them.
- Inspire children and pupils to be successful now and equip them to be successful later.
- Are truly international, working in partnerships within and across regions, cultures and languages.
- Aim to be the schools of choice for children, pupils and their families, wherever we are.
The Hamilton International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All shortlisted candidates and post holders are subject to appropriate International Criminal and Child Protection Background Checks or equivalent, covering the previous 10 years of employment history. The Hamilton International School recruit teachers in several ways including direct application to the school and through international teacher recruitment agencies and organizations.