ISP Nurse Role Profile
Purpose of Role
The Nurse is responsible to oversee the function of the School First Aid Unit by promoting health and safety, including actual and potential health problem intervention; case management services; records and database maintenance.
To act as first responder in medical emergencies.
To have an in-depth knowledge of nursing best practices with a high degree of professionalism to support the whole School.
The Nurse will provide quality health care support to the school and will be part of the pastoral care team for students.
The role requires a happy, welcoming, and caring disposition, excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks. The Nurse will be a supportive, co-operative team member who shows initiative and a willingness to improve processes.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
ISP Nurse Key Responsibilities
- Performs and/or oversees mandated screenings and completes referrals and follow-up where applicable.
- Supporting and assisting in the daily operation of the nursing office, and the general maintenance of the health and welfare of staff and students
- Assessing and treating students’ medical complaints and record keeping
- Initiation, implementation, and maintenance of procedures/protocols following Professional Guidelines
- Providing annual audiometric and vision and BMI screening service to students’
- Keeping an up-to-date diabetic register and reminding parents to send snacks and diabetic kits with their children
- Overseeing sports tournaments and events, liaising with PE coordinator of list of visiting students with medical concerns and arranging appropriate support
- Putting up appropriate health information displays on bulletin boards around the School and running information sessions for staff and students’
- Working in close partnership with the Social Worker; identifying and supporting pupils at risk and making referrals for guidance and specialists’ care when necessary.
- Orientation for staff, students, and parents.
- Regular check-ups for lice, height weight, follow up with Ministry regulations in that regard,
- Taking immediate measures when severe health conditions occur.
- Overseeing immunization/survey programs run by the health departments and ensuring compliance with all statuary, and legal requirements under the directive of the Qatar Supreme Council of Health and other legislative bodies
- Liaising with field trip leaders/team co- coordinators. Checking nature of trip, time and location and preparing first aid kits as per nature of the trip e.g. include vinegar if going to the beach
- Updating list of students’ medical conditions/allergies and personal students’ medication (EpiPen’s, insulin etc.) to go with the team leaders
- Reminding the parents of students who require daily medication to send the medication in a zip lock bag with name of the student, name of medication, dosage, and time to be given
- Preparing a supply of Panadol, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, spare Ventolin Inhaler and reminding team leaders to call parents if any medication is to be dispensed
- Supporting children with medical needs like asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, etc.
- Provides health education information directly to individual students, groups of students, or classes or by providing guidance and consultation about health and promoting health, with a specific focus on:
- Exercise and healthy eating
- Dealing with stress
- Mental health and wellbeing, including depression and bullying
- Drug and alcohol abuse and smoking
- Provides health education to parents and teachers
- Respond to medical emergency situations. Be available past normal work hours to bring a student to the Nurse room, if necessary.
- Assures that the School’s Nursing policies and procedures adhere to legal and regulatory statutes and ethical standards of nursing practice
- Assess the physical environment of the school to improve health and safety, including the assessment of playground, indoor air quality evaluation or review patterns of illness or injury to determine source of concern
- Communicate with staff responsible for minimizing identified risks
- Maintain strict confidentiality in communication and documentation
- Screening: vision, hearing, posture, body mass index, etc. and refer in timely manner
- Recognize any deviation from normal growth development and behavior.
- Reports communicable diseases on timely basis
- Maintains supplies and equipment’s in the school clinic according to Ministry of Health, Education and Municipality requirements
- Sets up daily log to list students who visit the nurse’s office or needs special attention
- Ensures the School Clinic is appropriately equipped and license (valid and renewed on time) by the relevant Govt. Bodies
- Dispense medication to students as per a parent’s written consent.
- Arrange appropriate storage of medications (only allowed medications).
- Produce student medical reports for School’s activities.
- Manage the ordering of First Aid supplies and maintain and fill all First Aid bags.
- Maintain records of the locations of all medical equipment.
- Organize and facilitate training in First Aid for all staff including asthma awareness and so
- Co-ordinate student immunization programs with the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education.
- Notify the community, in consultation with the Office Manager and Principal, of any medical outbreaks in line with the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education guidelines.
- In conjunction with pastoral care staff, the development and implementation of appropriate
- programs related to the health needs of students and staff
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- At least 5 years of working experience
- Valid Nursing License from the Ministry of Health at State of Qatar
- Updated First Aid Training & Child Protection
- Up to date knowledge and compliance to Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health, Local Municipalities and or other relevant Ministry Directives/Laws
- Background/experience preferred in pediatric nursing, community health nursing, critical care nursing, medical-surgical nursing and/or emergency room nursing.
- English is mandatory
- Arabic is an advantage
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work that is not specified in this job description. Employees are expected to be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors and telephone callers.
The school will endeavor to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled job applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition. This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with you, may be changed by the Principal to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title.
As a member of the staff of THIS you will need to comply with the below:
- Compliance with the school's Vision, Mission and Policies
- Positive Professional Relationship with all staff members are maintained.
- Contact with students is on a strictly professional basis with the physical and emotional safety of students being of paramount importance.
- The hours of work as arranged with the principal are strictly followed.
- This position entails working with information, much of which is held in confidence. Under no circumstances is this confidentiality to be compromised.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
The Hamilton International School is part of The International Schools Partnership (ISP).
The International Schools Partnership (ISP) is a growing group of committed colleagues in financially responsible schools around the world, all of which aim to be the school of choice in their local area. Learning is at the heart of everything we do for our pupils, colleagues and parents. We are committed to getting better, all the time.
ISP was founded by an experienced team of committed educationalists and commercial operators who have worked together over many years. Our growing group of private schools located in the UK, the USA & Canada, Europe, Costa Rica, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Malaysia, Mexico and Peru educate children and pupils from 2-18 years of age. We have now expanded to 48 schools delivering multiple curricula and building on local brands and reputations with around 45,000 pupils and 7,000 staff located across the globe.
We believe that successful schools are the ones that put learning at the heart of everything they do, always aiming to create rounded individuals that are able to forge successful careers and lives in a rapidly changing world. Our goal is to enable our schools as the leading school of choice in their local area. We are a truly international group working in different cultures and speaking different languages. We work across countries and cultures, too, by working with each other and with other schools and communities. At ISP we continue to engage with schools around the world who are interested in becoming part of our global group of schools and look forward to welcoming more pupils and staff to the group.
All our schools:
- Help children and pupils learn to levels that amaze them.
- Inspire children and pupils to be successful now and equip them to be successful later.
- Are truly international, working in partnerships within and across regions, cultures and languages.
- Aim to be the schools of choice for children, pupils and their families, wherever we are.
The Hamilton International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All shortlisted candidates and post holders are subject to appropriate International Criminal and Child Protection Background Checks or equivalent, covering the previous 10 years of employment history. The Hamilton International School recruit teachers in several ways including direct application to the school and through international teacher recruitment agencies and organizations.