Regional Financial Controller, ISP Malaysia
Purpose of Role
The Financial Controller is a senior level manager responsible for the full spectrum of accounting, financial reporting, statutory audit, tax, cashflow and working capital planning and management. This is a crucial role and is responsible for enhancing and improving the financial data accuracy, operations, overlooking governance with the aim of enhancing the accuracy of the month end and quarterly flash reporting by schools with the provision of meaningful business anecdotes.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Well-being and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
ISP in Malaysia: ISP operates Asia Pacific Schools, Straits International Schools and Tenby Schools where we are strategically located covering the Klang Valley, Perak, Penang and Johor within Malaysia. Our experience in educational excellence helps us provide amazing learning experiences for students as young as 3 years up to 18 years old. The nine (9) ISP schools in Malaysia follow the international school curriculum comprising IGCSE and A-levels, starting at the kindergarten level, while five (5) of the schools also offer the Malaysian National Curriculum. While the national and international schools and classrooms are separated, facilities and non-curricular activities are shared between the schools. With over 8,000 students, we have a 60-year history in the country providing education to students and have gained a reputation for excellence and high standards in education.
What unites all ISP schools is a common purpose of enabling moments of Amazing Learning, where a student goes beyond the level they thought possible and amaze themselves with the progress they have made. We believe that by providing our students opportunities to learn through a good struggle, they will develop the perseverance and resilience necessary to independently overcome any challenges that lie in their way.
Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Oversight lead for providing guidance on month-end closing to School Finance Managers.
- Review and analysis of the Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet including but not limited to deferred income account, accruals, provisions, reconciliations, revenue recognition, discretionary spending and capital expenditure.
- Review all journal entry postings and ensure accuracy and completeness of the General Ledger and Sub-Ledger accounts
- Responsible for all communication on month-end close including calendars and Group policies.
- Work closely with School Finance Managers for the preparation of monthly flash-report and act as the lead for month-end review reporting to Group.
- Review, update and enhance financial policies and procedures of the schools and maintain a documented system of policies and procedures.
- Preparation of any ad-hoc reporting as and when required by Regional Finance Director and assist in the consolidation of data required for analyses.
- Oversee and manage the tracking of open requisitions for hiring and attrition according to Budget requirements
- Assist in the requirements for strategic 5 year plan as and when required.
Statutory Audit & Tax Compliance
- Liaison lead in the management of the yearly statutory audit and tax filing.
- Working closely with School Finance Managers to ensure adherence to Group policies and IFRS requirements.
- Attending to all statutory audit queries in a timely manner and reviewing proposed Adjusting Journal Entries and Reclassifying Journal Entries.
- Review corporate tax computation and suggest recommendations accordingly.
- Aware of Double-Tax Treaty requirements and Withholding tax ledger management.
- Self-review, analyse and propose tax planning initiatives alongside the School Finance Managers.
- Implement strict compliance procedures surrounding Transfer Pricing reporting and be aware of the rulings and compliance requirements of the Global Minimum Tax regime.
- Ensure conformance and compliance to all local regulatory requirements and deadlines.
Cashflow Planning & Working Capital Management
- Take the lead on establishing a rhythm on cashflow reporting alongside School Finance Managers.
- Standardise billing communication and timelines for the Schools Terms and to consolidate and populate credible forecasts for receivables for the financial year.
- Establish standardized operating procedures on identifying, management and reporting of potential bad debts alongside School Finance Managers.
- Work closely with School Finance Managers on the forecast and planning of Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables to estimate future cashflow requirements and cash positions.
- Manage timeline and regulatory requirements on all inter-company transactions.
- Lead for cashflow planning and reporting to Group.
Treasury & Insurance
- Work with School Finance Managers to review and collate data for Group Insurance policy renewal including but not limited to Student PA coverage.
- Custodian for Banking Mandates and Company Documents.
- Adherence to Group Treasury Policy and first point of contact for local banks on all treasury matters and requirements.
- To provide Finance advisory matters to the Regional School Finance Managers where required.
- Support the Regional Finance Director on matters pertaining to financial and tax statutory reporting, month end review, finance controls and best practices.
- Be up to date with key international and local regulations, including but not limited to developments in IFRS and GAAP, Transfer Pricing, Tax matters and Treasury.
- Champion the lead for all finance improvements and process related changes.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Internal: Campus Principals, School Finance Managers, School HR Managers, School Marketing & Admissions team, Regional Office Senior Leadership Team members.
- External: Statutory Auditors, Tax Consultants, Bankers, Company Secretary and Local Regulators (MOE, CCM etc)
- Direct Reporting to the Regional Finance Director
- The Regional Financial Controller will supervise 1 or 2 direct subordinate(s) in the Regional Office and will have 9 School Managers as dotted / matrix reporting up.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy / Finance and / or a professional qualification.
Experience and Skills:
- Between 10 to 15 years of progressive experience in Finance or Accountancy.
- Experience in Shared Services Centre is highly desirable.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills and highly engaging.
- Confident, organised, highly motivated and has the passion and drive in the schools’ operations.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism and maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of IFRS, Transfer Pricing, Tax and Treasury related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Netsuite Power BI.
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
1. Collaboration. Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximise opportunities.
2. Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
3. Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
4. Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
5. Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
6. Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
7. Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
8. Leading & Inspiring Others. Supports encourages and inspires students, colleagues and teams so that they give their best.
9. Understanding People. Is a very good judge of talent, can objectively articulate the strengths and motivations of people inside or outside the organisation.
10. Influencing & Communication. Consistently informs, influences and inspires students, parents and colleagues through timely and effective communication.
11. Agile. Responds and adapts to changing circumstances; manages and solves problems by providing solutions in a climate of ambiguity.
12. Strategic, Commercial & Financial Awareness. Has the ability to apply understanding of the business and industry to improve effectiveness and profitability.
13. Planning & Decision Making. Makes decisions on the best course of action and then plans, organises, prioritises and balances resources to achieve the desired outcome.
14. Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness and skill to understand the values, behaviours, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years employment history.