Lady Elizabeth School
Date Added: Jan 24, 2023
Excellent opportunity for a hard-working adaptable individual to join our Lady Elizabeth caretaking team at our state of the art facilities.. As a full time caretaker you`ll be assisting the school to provide an efficient and effective support service for all students, staff, and visitors.
Caretaker Role Profile
LES´ Mission: We provide an enriching, learning-focused education of the highest standard which allows our pupils to achieve both success and experience failure in a safe and supportive environment. Staff, pupils and parents share the fundamental expectation of a positive attitude to learning. We nurture our pupils, encouraging them to develop a Growth Mindset to ensure they become resilient and persevere in the face of challenges. Happy, respectful, internationally-minded pupils, staff and parents are the core of our community. We support our pupils and staff to constantly get better and improve themselves. We do this as a team, without exception.
At ISP, everyone is a learner. As a senior leader, you model learning and a growth mindset, demonstrating a desire to learn and build on your knowledge, skills and understanding in leading learning and the learning of others. You foster the learning and growth of your leadership team, which will be fundamental to your success.
Learner (ISP definition)
The ISP learner recognises that their mindset, experiences and actions drive their learning outcomes. With this awareness, they exercise voice, choice, and ownership over their process of learning - leading their learning and the learning of others.
Reporting To: Head of Facilities - Head of School
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Well-being and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
Lady Elizabeth and ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.
The Caretaker is a vital role within a school. Not only does the position exist to ensure care of the buildings and facilities, but the Caretaker should be approachable by the pupils, staff, parents and visitors within the school as they will require their help from time to time. LES are committed to the safeguarding of children and young people and the post holder must ensure that in their role they take all steps necessary to take care of the pupils that they come into contact with
● To implement the maintenance schedules and set routine programmes of work to ensure consistently high standards of hygiene, cleanliness, upkeep and safety of all school buildings and premises.
● To be responsible for the upkeep of playing fields, gardens, all weather surfaces and to ensure the maintenance of boundaries and footpaths, within the school premises.
● To ensure that all statutory elements of health and safety are implied and undertaking responsibility for maintaining the premises in a safe and healthy condition and to a high standard.
● To ensure the maintenance and periodic checking of fire and other health and safety systems takes place, and provide support during emergency drills
● To monitor the safe storage and control of any hazardous materials and chemicals used within the School and ensure that such materials are appropriately marked and signposted.
● To work with the Facilities Manager to carry out reactive maintenance and repairs and to upkeep of the premises and equipment including the required safety checks
● To be responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of all premises-related mechanical, electrical, heating services and other plants. To take appropriate action to ensure and monitor proper safe levels of lighting, heating and ventilation.
● To attend site meetings with contractors as necessary.
● To respond ,on a rota basis to any reasonable out of hours emergency call outs during periods of school closure including nights and weekends.
● To maintain confidentiality of information acquired in the course of undertaking duties for the school.
● To adhere to the school's code of conduct and engender a professional work environment
● To be responsible for maintaining and updating facilities inventories such as tools, keys, equipment, etc.
● To be responsible for site security and access control as well the opening and closure of all school facilities.
● To accept deliveries and distributing to designated locations within the school
● To be responsible for scheduling external service providers during reasonable hours and ensure works are supervised and carried out safely, including the sign off of any work that is carried out
● To be responsible for your own continuing self-development, undertaking training as appropriate.
The above details are not exhaustive and the postholder may be required to undertake tasks, roles and responsibilities as may reasonably be assigned to them by the Senior Leadership team
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
● Experience in similar building and maintenance roles
● Good level of English and Spanish
● Full driving licence
● Ability to work effectively both in collaboration with other professionals/teams and also on own initiative
● Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to relate to young people, parents, colleagues and external 3rd parties
● Excellent organisational skills / Time management / Ability to prioritise and organise own workload / able to work to deadlines
● Knowledge of routine preventive and reactive maintenance
● Willingness to work outside normal hours as required
● Be willing to work on a shift/rotational basis which on occasion could include weekends
● Offers own ideas and perspectives
● Experience in similar roles or working within a school
● Good IT skills