Description of School
Straits International School Rawang is part of the International Schools Partnership (ISP), a leading International Education company based in London with 62 schools across the world.
Straits International School opened its doors in Oct 2018, and it currently offers high quality Cambridge education for Early Years, Primary and Secondary students in a well-equipped, purpose-built campus located at Taman sari Rawang.
- A culture of engagement and trust, where staff contributions are recognised and valued.
- A passionate and motivated team of professionals who put children at the heart of decision-making.
- An embedded whole campus commitment to professional development and a commitment to serving others.
- A peer network of like-minded teaching colleagues and support from non-academic staff.
- Access to expertise, best practise sharing and learning opportunities across countries and cultures.
- A commitment to employee well-being.
ISP Malaysia - Straits International School Rawang
Maths Teacher - Role Profile
Purpose of Role
Subject teachers are responsible for maximizing the academic progress of the students they teach, working with colleagues to participate fully in the development of the department. Subject teachers promote a positive, purposeful, and professional working atmosphere that encourages cooperation and challenge, whilst valuing the contribution that individuals make to the success of the department. We are looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Maths Teacher for Secondary. IGCSE Experience is required and a proven track record of exam success.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
Job descriptions are subject to annual review and specific responsibilities will change to take account of the school development plan and the professional development of staff. All teachers need to promote the school ethos and health and safety and contribute to continuous school improvement. We are looking for a teacher with a desire to make a difference to the lives of young people, ideally with evidence of outstanding teaching and learning. Candidates should have a clear and good understanding of current educational issues, theory, and practice, including sound subject knowledge. A commitment to teaching and a willingness to continue to learn through professional development is important in the role.
- Plan and prepare well-structured, clearly presented lessons appropriate to the abilities of all students and the syllabus being taught
- Make sure that the classroom is a stimulating environment that facilitates learning
- Generate enthusiasm for the subject being taught and inspire all students to work to their potential
- Liaise with the Head of Faculty and Learning Support where a student may have special educational needs and with the form tutor and Head of House if a student is experiencing pastoral difficulties
- Promote high standards of behaviour by encouraging a positive, proactive approach to study and build productive relationships with students
- Set homework according to policy and pertinent to the student’s ability and wider workload
- Promote high standards of organisation
- Be punctual to lessons
- Promote high standards in the use of English as the common language and help develop English for Academic Progress
- Provide high-quality, accurate, constructive and targeted information to parents at Parents' Evenings, in subject reports, incidental meetings and communications
- Assess, record and monitor the progress of all students according to faculty guidelines in order to provide accurate information to parents in a variety of forms, as and when necessary
- Maintain materials and resources as needed
Responsibilities to the Department and School
- Be respectful of the needs of colleagues and the department with regards to cooperation, collegiality, deadlines, and team cohesion
- Participate positively in departmental meetings, follow policies and generally contributing to the effective and efficient running of the department
- Promote professional dialogue, share ideas about teaching and learning and support other teachers in developing good practice and new approaches and initiatives
- Take part in, and contribute to, INSET activities offered in the department and by the school
- Enthusiastically contribute to cross-curricular links and initiatives, and Leadership in Action activities
- Be involved in new responsibilities within the department as part of an ongoing process of professional development
- Keep up to date with developments in the subject, and in education generally
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested by the Head of Department, Head of Faculty or members of the Senior Leadership Team and any duties that the Campus Principal deems necessary for the effective operation of the school
Skills, Qualifications and Experience Other
- Relevant UK teaching qualifications (PGCE OR Bachelor Education) or equivalent international teaching qualification
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Have up-to-date knowledge on the Cambridge International curriculum
- Can deliver a balanced, broad and differentiated curriculum for their learners;
- Can deliver well-planned, rigorous and interesting learning experiences for their students;
- Have high expectations of learners with appropriate inspiration and challenge;
- Encourage and contribute to a well-organised and inspiring learning environment;
- Experience of integrating technology into learning and teaching;
- Have a growth mindset to all aspects of school life;
- Passionate and willing to go above and beyond for the school community.
- Ability to pass an International Child Protection Certificate (UK) to work with children & able to provide Criminal Background Check covering the previous 10 years employment history.
- Contract: Fixed Term (2 years) – renewal depending on performance
- Able to commence in August 2023
Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and
expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate
vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10
years employment history.
Please visit our website to find out more about the school:
rawang.sisgroup.edu.my for more information
- Basic Salary : Around RM 10,000 - RM 11,000 (Determined by candidate’s qualification and interview results)
- Transport Allowance : RM 500
- Housing Allowance : RM 3,000 (Single), RM 3,500 (Married)
- EPF : 8%
Baggage Allowance (one time), Settling Allowance (one time), Beginning and End of Contract flights, Local Health Insurance (Employee only), medical leave, hospitalization leave, extensive training for professional development, monthly staff rewards depending on performance.