High School Lab Technician Role Profile
Purpose of Role
Star International School, Al Qusais is looking to recruit a strong, resilient and innovative High School Lab Technician to join our growing school in April 2023.
Star International School Al Twar and Al Qusais is a part of the International Schools Partnership (ISP). The International Schools Partnership (ISP) is a grwing group of committed colleagues in financially responsible schools around the world, all of which aim to be the school of choice in their local area. Learning is at the heart of everything we do for our pupils, colleagues and parents. We are committed to getting better, all the time. Star International School is a bespoke English Curriculum school catering to students from FS1 to Year 13 and is located in the heart of Dubai. Star currently has 625 students.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
High School Lab Technician Key Responsibilities
- We are seeking to appoint an outstanding High School Lab Technician to join our supportive, efficient and successful team.
- The successful candidate will need to be positive, enthusiastic and creative in their approach to our school vision: ‘To develop Star members in the local and global community, who are able to lead themselves and others; through their love of independent learning and their compassion for humanity’.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
To undertake lab technician duties in support of the work of the teaching staff in the Science Department.
a.) The preparation of materials and equipment for science lessons.
- Carry out risk assessments for technical activities
- Disposing of waste materials
- Collecting apparatus and chemicals from storage;
- Preparing necessary solutions;
- Checking individual components in and out for class use;
- Arranging for apparatus including worksheets, books and audio-visual aids to be available, in rooms, for lessons;
- Preparing experiments, setting up apparatus and equipment for demonstrations and practical lessons as requested by teaching staff;
- Liaising with staff over use of equipment and stock;
- Advice staff of any problems, including safety aspects;
- Assisting with collection and cataloguing of sundry worksheets, books, audio-visual aids and materials;
- Returning apparatus, etc. and chemicals to storage as soon as practicable;
- Repairing damages or arranging for this to be done;
- Constructing apparatus and equipment.
- Purchase of sundries from local supermarkets
2) Routine maintenance of science laboratories and preparation rooms, their equipment and services:
- Maintaining laboratory clean and tidy in conjunction with the teacher in charge of the room;
- Cleaning the sinks, chemicals on bench tops, spillage’s of chemicals on floor;
- Storing materials tidily;
- Keeping equipment clean;
- Looking after animals, insects and plants kept by the department;
- Cleaning of goggles
- Cleaning of safety screens, fume cupboards and other items.
- Carrying out safety checks on equipment, e.g. Bunsen tubing etc.
3) Maintaining the stocks of science chemicals and equipment, for example:
- Taking stock of chemicals, consumables, stationery, books and breakable items;
- Advise Head of Science on stock replacement needs;
- Ordering of the above
- Checking deliveries
b.) Maintaining science laboratories and preparation rooms and their equipment, and services in good order.
c.) General duties in support of the teachers in the Science Department.
d.) The precise duties would be determined by the Head and Head of Science consistent with the main areas of responsibility set out above
The successful candidate will:
- have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- share the vision of the Science Department, School and the Head
- be flexible, reliable, and well organised
- be passionate about Science education
- be a team player contributing to the work of the Science Department and the School
- have personal integrity and the drive to do what is best for the pupils
- have good ICT skills
- have a high degree of professionalism
Interested applicants must include the following in their application:
- A full CV which includes:
- Reference to all educational degrees, certificates and training
- All work experience by date
- A recent photo
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
- Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximise opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
- Leading & Inspiring Others. Supports, encourages and inspires students, colleagues and teams so that they give their best.
- Understanding People. Is a very good judge of talent, can objectively articulate the strengths and motivations of people inside or outside the organisation.
- Influencing & Communication. Consistently informs, influences and inspires students, parents and colleagues through timely and effective communication.
- Responds and adapts to changing circumstances; manages and solves problems by providing solutions in a climate of ambiguity.
- Strategic, Commercial & Financial Awareness. Has the ability to apply understanding of the business and industry to improve effectiveness and profitability.
- Planning & Decision Making. Makes decisions on the best course of action and then plans, organises, prioritises and balances resources to achieve the desired outcome.
- Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness and skill to understand the values, behaviours, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.