ISP Environmental Manager Role Profile
Purpose of Role
ISP is seeking a talented, innovative, passionate Environmental Manager to join our Team. This high visibility role will be part of the Group ESG team and report to the Group Head of ESG, while working closely with cross-functional teams across our business. Critical and strategic, the role will be instrumental in advancing the company’s environmental agenda, shaping the decarbonization strategy and rolling it out across our 60+ international schools.
The International Schools Partnership (ISP) is a growing group of committed colleagues in ﬁnancially responsible schools around the world, all of which aim to be the school of choice in their local area. Learning is at the heart of everything we do for our students, colleagues, and parents. We are committed to getting better, all the time.
ISP was founded by an experienced team of committed educationalists and operators who have worked together over many years. Our growing group of private schools located in the UK, the USA, Canada, Spain, Italy, Switzerland Costa Rica, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Malaysia, Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru and Vietnam educates children and students from 2–18 years of age. We have now expanded to 60+ schools that employ over 8,000 colleagues and deliver multiple curricula to over 58,000 students located across the globe.
As we continue to grow our portfolio of Schools of Choice, ISP has been actively pursuing increased focus and leadership on social and environmental issues to drive both business and societal value. We are committed to minimising our environmental footprint and leading responsibly for a sustainable future for our students, creating long-term value by managing the opportunities and mitigating the risks posed by environmental and other sustainability issues in the education sector. This new position will be part of the dedicated and growing central ESG team delivering a new global strategy and approach.
The role will be responsible for leading our environmental strategy and initiatives in line with our overall ESG strategy, with a particular focus on measuring and managing our carbon footprint, and developing and implementing plans for reduction in line with our identified targets. The post holder will coordinate the implementation of sustainability best practices across our schools to ensure ISP reaches our environmental goals.
The role is remote, with preferences for a candidate based in countries where we have schools. Travel in this role could reach 25-50% in the first few years.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding and Health & Safety issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Are financially responsible. We make financial choices carefully based on the needs of the children, students and our schools.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
ISP Environmental Manager Key Responsibilities
Strategy and Policy
- Establish objectives and milestones to achieve short and long-term environmental ambitions and targets, embedding our environmental strategy within the regions and functions as an integrated part of how we operate
- Develop and lead environmental strategy and roadmap aligned with Group ESG strategy, with a particular focus on showing measurable reduction in carbon emissions in line with identified targets along a Net Zero pathway
- Develop Environmental Management System and best practices guidelines for the Group to decrease our environmental footprint
- Identify and prioritize activities for emissions reductions by evaluating the impact, and economic and technical feasibility, of projects; translate the technical requirements and analysis into cost estimations and support the business case for investment in activities
- Calculate ROI on investments and support schools in prioritizing projects
- Identify and analyse creative incentive structures for regional teams to implement activities (i.e. internal carbon pricing scheme)
- Create and develop environmental projects from the identification through the development phase
Implementation of Projects and Initiatives
- Work with regions, schools, facility managers, and external consultants to drive technical pilots and implement solutions for emissions reductions
- Enable rollout of sustainable technologies such as solar PV, heat pumps, battery storage, LED lighting, building management systems, smart meters, landscape/grounds, etc.
- Perform site evaluations to ensure project progress on targeted local implementations and compliance with environmental regulations; implement corrective measures for risks detected
- Report on project progress, including cost reporting
Managing and Reporting Key Data
- Identify key KPIs to measure impact and performance, and track and report in line with global and regulatory standards
- Identify, source and implement third-party system for ESG data measurement, with initial focus on emissions data and potential to scale to other environmental criteria, to automate and facilitate environmental data collection embedded in existing processes
- Regular tracking and reporting on environmental data, report progress against KPIs and goals to leadership, such as the ESG Steering Committee
- Manage and prepare mandatory reporting related to environmental questions (i.e. from investors, regulatory bodies), and assist with preparation of shareholder/board reports, project progress reports, etc
- Assist with preparing shareholder/board reports, project progress reports,
- Support GHG auditing and assurance process
Community and Partnerships
- Act as thought leader in environmental sustainability and support colleagues with specialist advice, coaching and practical support; upskill facility managers and property heads in sustainable building practices
- Work with growth teams to incorporate environmental considerations into M&A/greenfield acquisitions, develop energy and sustainability strategies for new and existing buildings
- Work with H&S teams to create sustainable environment that contributes to Amazing Learning
- Provide direction and support to ensure compliance with environmental policies and procedures
- Coordinate and manage external consultants assisting with project implementation
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor`s Degree required; Postgraduate degree in environmental science, sustainability and climate change, or related field, preferred
- Demonstrable technical experience in carbon footprint analysis, energy audits and assessments, decarbonization strategies, evaluation of climate risks, carbon markets, practical application of Science-Based Targets and other environmental standards (TCFD, GHG Protocol, CDP, etc.)
- Experience in the field of environmental technologies and low carbon solutions, particularly in relation to commercial development and/or sustainable building management
- Understanding of energy, carbon, and sustainability trends and best practices in the built environment; exposure to trends and developments in the legal and regulatory environment
- Experience with certification schemes like LEED, BREEAM and WELL a plus
- Experience with waste, water management and recommendations a plus
- Experience in project management, preferably in a real estate environment
- Level of commercial nuance to support costing and ROI exercises, business case creation and prioritization of activities
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to manage and interpret data to inform effective decision making
- Being able to challenge, provide insights, forecast future trends, and articulate the value of sustainability to the business, with an understanding of future value creation and business imperative for tackling climate change
- Practical and innovative leader with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Collaborative and intercultural mindset and demonstrated ability to influence and build trusted relationships with cross-functional teams and senior stakeholders
- An enthusiastic and high energy individual with a strong drive to create a positive work environment
- Ability and willingness to take a "hands on" approach, while maintaining an ability for a high level or strategic view of program activities
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
ISP Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
ISP is committed to strengthening our inclusive culture by identifying, hiring, developing, and retaining high-performing teammates regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender expression, age, disability status, or other demographic characteristics. Candidates who share our principles and are interested in this role are strongly encouraged to apply.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.