Primary Learning Assistant
This job posting is no longer active.
The British School of Malaga
Date Added: Mar 29, 2023
Primary Learning Support Assistant
Working with small groups of students who are in need of additional support; this may be because English is not their first language, they have learning difficulties, or they require support to extend their learning beyond the rest of the class group.
To support individual students who may not necessarily require additional support, but where one to one teaching is necessary – for example listening to pupils reading aloud.
- To facilitate learning more generally, either by ‘floating’ and acting as additional support during class activities or by working with specific groups of students.
- To help prepare differentiated learning resources.
- To assist the teacher in identifying where the in-class additional support is needed.
- To give feedback to the class teacher, EAL teacher or ALN Coordinator regarding the progress of students.
- Reinforce lessons presented by teachers by reviewing material with students one-on-one or in small groups, in a way that meets each student's learning style.
- Enforce school and class rules regarding the ‘Student Conduct and Attitudes to Learning Policy’.
- Help teachers with recordkeeping, such as tracking attendance and assessment.
- Help teachers prepare for lessons by getting materials ready or setting up equipment.
- Help supervise students in class, between classes, during break and lunch, and on field trips.
- To support with the display of learning in classrooms and corridors.
Supporting students with additional learning needs:
- To support the learning of students who have been diagnosed with learning difficulties. This support may be necessary because a student requires support in accessing the curriculum. Or it may be because they have learning difficulties and need additional support to understand and complete tasks.
- To support these students by helping them to keep up to speed with their peers and identifying strategies that enable them to make progress with their learning.
Supporting students with English as an additional Language
- To support students whose first language is not English with some additional support to enable them to access the curriculum.
- To liaise with the EAL teacher and class teacher regarding strategies.
- To ensure effective dialogue with parents in accordance with school policies.
- To work closely with staff in other departments of the school.
- To liaise with external agencies and employers as necessary.
The duties may be varied to meet the changing demands of the school at the reasonable discretion of the Head of Primary or Principal.
This job description does not form part of the contract of employment. It describes the way the post holder is expected and required to perform and complete the duties as set out above.