Asia Pacific Schools is one of the most renowned schools in the Klang Valley, serving about 1,800 children across the International Curriculum and Malaysian National Curriculum. Our approach to children’s education and growth encompasses academic rigor, pastoral care, and genuine relationships, with appropriate tools and technology seamlessly binding it all together. In doing so, we are developing well-rounded, confident individuals who are ready for the challenges of the world.
Asia Pacific Schools (APS) is extremely pleased to be part of International Schools Partnership (ISP), a dynamic network of 60+ schools in 16 different countries committed to an organizational learning culture of ‘getting better’.
The Asia Pacific Schools promotes equality and is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, as well as providing employees with a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
- A culture of engagement and trust, where staff contributions are recognized and valued
- A passionate and motivated team of professionals who put children at the heart of decision-making
- An embedded whole campus commitment to professional development and a commitment to serving others
- A peer network of like-minded teaching colleagues and support from non-academic staff
- Access to expertise, best practices sharing and learning opportunities across countries and cultures
- A commitment to employee well-being
- Competitive salary
- Pension fund contribution to an Employee Provident Fund
- Fee discount for children of employees
- Outpatient and inpatient medical benefits
- Training opportunities
- Paid leaves (e.g., medical, hospitalization, compassionate, etc.)
ASIA PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
We are seeking to hire a History and Geography Teacher who can teach IGCSE syllabus for upper secondary for commencement January 2024
Reporting to: Head of Department
Purpose of Role
To provide Amazing Learning opportunities so that students continually get better through the delivery of high-quality teaching and the creation of effective resources.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
- Follow the policies and practices which reflect the school’s commitment to high achievement, amazing learning and effective feedback
- Establish a clear understanding of the importance and role of History and Geography in contributing to pupil’s spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development, and in preparing students for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of the modern world
- Use data effectively to identify pupils who are underachieving in the subject and, where necessary, create and implement effective plans of action to support those pupils
- To work effectively as a Form Tutor as part of a designated Year Team
- Ensure curriculum coverage, continuity and progression in the subject for all pupils, including those of high ability and those with special educational or linguistic needs
- Ensure effective development of pupils’ literacy, numeracy and information technology skills through the subject
- Set high expectations for pupils in relation to progress and achievement
- Ensure effective development of pupils’ individual and collaborative study skills necessary for them to become increasingly independent in their work and to complete tasks independently when out of school
- Establish a partnership with parents and careers to involve them in their child’s learning of the subject, as well as providing information about curriculum, attainment, progress and targets
Communication, marketing and PR
- To ensure professional and effective communication and consultation, as appropriate, between colleagues, parents and students at Asia Pacific International School
- Publicise and celebrate achievements
- Assist with the organisation of open evenings, consultation events and other events relating to the school
- To contribute to marketing activities for Asia Pacific International School
(Please note that this Job Description sets out the main duties associated with the stated purpose of the post. It is assumed that other duties of a similar level/nature undertaken within the section are not excluded because they are not itemised. The duties of this post could vary from time to time as a result of new legislation; changes in technology or policy and in that case appropriate training may be given to enable the post holder to undertake this new/varied work.)
- Fully and positively participate in the school’s performance appraisal scheme in order to develop and enhance personal and service performance
- Undertake any other reasonable duties requested/assigned as required by SLT or Line Manager, especially with regard to the school’s administrative function
- Ensure that school policies including those relating to Safeguarding, Race Equality, Equal Opportunities, Code of Conduct and Health & Safety are adhered to.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Possess relevant degree with a post-graduate diploma in education/teaching or a bachelor of education with teaching practicum
- Minimum three (3) years’ full-time teaching History and Geography in an international school for upper secondary
- Computer literate with good interpersonal communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Bahasa Malaysia
- Patient, responsible, and passionate about teaching
- A team player and flexible to meet the needs of the department
- Must be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people they are responsible for or come into contact with
- Ability to commence employment end August 2023
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
- Collaboration. Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximise opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
- Leading & Inspiring Others. Supports, encourages and inspires students, colleagues and teams so that they give their best.
- Understanding People. Is a very good judge of talent, can objectively articulate the strengths and motivations of people inside or outside the organization.
- Influencing & Communication. Consistently informs, influences and inspires students, parents and colleagues through timely and effective communication.
- Agile. Responds and adapts to changing circumstances; manages and solves problems by providing solutions in a climate of ambiguity.
- Strategic, Commercial & Financial Awareness. Has the ability to apply understanding of the business and industry to improve effectiveness and profitability.
- Planning & Decision Making. Makes decisions on the best course of action and then plans, organises, prioritises and balances resources to achieve the desired outcome.
- Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness and skill to understand the values, behaviours, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are invited to send in a letter of application including the reasons for applying together with a comprehensive CV, a recent passport-size photograph and contact details of two referees (one of which must be from your current employer) to email [email protected]
Early application is encouraged as we reserve the right to appoint as soon as a suitable candidate has been identified.