Head of Facilities – Italy
Purpose of Role
The main purpose of the Head of Facilities is to maintain our Italian schools facilities, manage schools transport, supervise schools campuses cleaning and coordinate the information, monitoring and implementation of the schools Health and Safety policy and reporting. It is also to ensure that the schools comply with the requirements of legislation and to act as the school’s Health and Safety Officer. Facilities and Health & Safety (H & S) Manager oversees the budgets and must negotiate with outside vendors for supplies, repairs and other measures.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential Health & Safety and safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Are financially responsible. We make financial choices carefully based on the needs of the children, students and our schools.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
Head of Facilities Key Responsibilities
Schools & Schools Overall Maintenance Management
- In charge for all schools and schools accommodation maintenance
- Ensure all requests for maintenance are completed
- Procedure is established for maintain a track of all maintenance work accomplished
- Technical and logistic support for whole school
- Mentoring support for pupils at risk of becoming disengaged with schools
- Developing litter free sites and local environment
- Developing a recycling-based working environment
- To be able to undertake maintenance duties as required improving and supporting the safe and effective operation of the site
- To work with the Site Teams during schools holidays in support of a ‘Program of Works’ – including organizing, decorating and arranging the school setup
- Ensuring all maintenance contracts are recorded and tracked Site based Health and Safety Risk Assessments and Compliance
- To undertake and review at least annually, all site-based Health and Safety policies, Risk Assessments, practices and procedure and to ensure that the site is safe for students, staff and visitors
- Liaise with external H&S audit agencies and provide reports/data as needed to ensure school is fully compliant with all legislative requirements
- To undertake regular inspections of the school premises to identify any potential hazards and be the first point of contact for dealing with identified hazards in the school
- To establish and implement a system for reporting hazards, through regular liaison with the maintenance department
- Ensure that access and egress to site is maintained to minimize health and safety risks to acceptable levels and maintain access to site for emergency services
- To be responsible for conducting fire drills and monitoring their effectiveness
- To provide a report to The Principal and SLT (Senior Leadership Team) on Health & Safety issues
- To liaise regularly with site manager over area of responsibilities
- Maintain and ensure accurate records of data in The Schools Management System Transport Maintenance & Safety
- Managing new student registration for transport service
- Planning and implementing bus routes in conjunction with the transport coordinator
- To regularly review all aspects of school buses safety including servicing/repairs and organizing appropriate training for staff
- To be responsible for maintaining the booking system for the school buses, keeping the keys and ensuring that appropriate maintenance and safety checks are carried out weekly
- Ensure all buses have a Leader and an Assistant, for assisting the driver and Teacher Assistant in case of emergencies
- First aid support and line management of first aid team
- To maintain First Aid supplies and analyze first aid incidents to ensure that the school environment is as safe as possible
- To ensure that an appropriate training regime is established for staff who are or who wish to become first aid qualified
- To ensure that all students, staff and other members of the school are aware of the procedure when, immediate first aid is required
- Customer Care
- To provide quality services
- To work with customers and do what needs to be done to meet their needs
- To customer feedback promptly
- To inform your Principals about what customers say in relation to the services delivered
- To make every effort to access development opportunities and ensure time is spent identifying your professional development needs through a personal development plan
- To be ready to share good practice
- Ensuring the members in your team are aware of all customer and student ethics and display good and respective behavior
- Health and Safety
- Emphasizes the importance of safety in all areas of the curriculum, communicating to the pupils the importance of a responsible attitude towards personal safety, the safety of others and respect for property and equipment
- Perform playground duties on time and with due diligence to safeguard students
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Assist in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct
- Ensure that, all the necessary health and safety rules and procedures are being followed
- Maintain an awareness of all the health and safety measures to be taken when in school
- Minimize impact of construction and related inconvenience on school, while in operation
- Liaise with third party supplier and general contractor on a weekly basis and provide weekly reporting to school principal and Europe region head of property
Other duties and responsibilities
Any other duties that the Principal or the Regional Head of property Europe may from time to time ask the post-holder to perform.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from a relevant field
- English and Italian Speaker
- Proven track-record experience in Project Management (PMI, IPMA or equivalent certification)
- Fluent with all main Microsoft Office Suite reporting tools
- Health & Safety Certification
- At least 5 years of working experience in a similar role
- Experience of implementing directives including the Health and Safety at Work Act in a working environment relating to fire precautions, regulations and appropriate safety procedures
- Well-versed in technical/engineering operations and facilities management best practices
- Evidence of practical application of sound judgment and ability to manage complex large site organizational issues
- Able to present information in a concise and professional manner
- Good analytical/critical thinking skills
- Strong understanding of warehouse control systems
- Able to read and understand complex electrical, mechanical and automation systems
- Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical systems
- Excellent project management skills
- Well organized and able to prioritize tasks
- Ability to manage self and a team effectively
- To be able to initiate opportunities for self and others and to find solutions to ensure tasks are completed within specified timescales
- Adaptable and self-motivated
- Articulate, communicative with an outgoing pleasant manner
- First Aid experience and training
- Able to negotiate, persuade and motivate others
- Willingness to undertake appropriate Professional Development
- Willing attitude to be a part of the school team
- Strong sense of professionalism
- Safeguarding and welfare of children
- A collaborative team-player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Behavior management
- Empathetic listener and patient
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Internationally minded
- Emotional intelligence
- Intercultural awareness, creative
- Flexible and a can-do attitude
As a member of the staff you will need to comply with the below:
- Compliance with the school's Vision, Mission and Policies
- Positive Professional Relationship with all staff members are maintained.
- Contact with students is on a strictly professional basis with the physical and emotional safety of students being of paramount importance.
- The hours of work as arranged with the principal are strictly followed.
- This position entails working with information, much of which is held in confidence. Under no circumstances is this confidentiality to be compromised
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
- Collaboration. Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximize opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback, supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and can motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
- Leading & Inspiring Others. Supports, encourages and inspires students, colleagues and teams so that they give their best.
- Understanding People. Is a very good judge of talent, can objectively articulate the strengths and motivations of people inside or outside the organization.
- Influencing & Communication. Consistently informs, influences and inspires students, parents and colleagues through timely and effective communication.
- Agile. Responds and adapts to changing circumstances; manages and solves problems by providing solutions in a climate of ambiguity.
- Strategic, Commercial & Financial Awareness. Has the ability to apply understanding of the business and industry to improve effectiveness and profitability.
- Planning & Decision Making. Makes decisions on the best course of action and then plans, organizes, prioritizes and balances resources to achieve the desired outcome.
- Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness, and skill to understand the values, behaviors, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.