ISP HR Manager Role Profile (School-based)
Purpose of Role
To lead the HR function across the school, with responsibility for setting the agenda in partnership with the Principal and WSLT.
● To be responsible for the full HR function across the whole school.
● To develop, implement and review HR policies and procedures.
● To ensure an effective recruitment, selection and induction process of staff.
● To ensure that the school is legally compliant in its HR processes including the safe recruitment of staff.
● To ensure that the school’s safeguarding obligations are met in relation to employment practices.
Department: Non-Academic Administration
Line Manager: Principal & Regional HR Director ISP ME
Key Relationships: Regional HR Director ISP ME, Heads of School, Staff
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
About the School:
We are not just another British curriculum school in Dubai – we are more than a school, we are a community, an experience and a way of life that nurtures excellence in every respect. Our community is culturally rich and diverse, welcoming students from a phenomenal range of backgrounds and over 70 nationalities. As a school we recognise and celebrate this. Established in 1992, we are very proud of our strong heritage, traditions and values and are constantly looking forward; seeking to innovate and improve at every age and stage for every one of our pupils.
At The English College, we are committed to providing the best value, high quality, British curriculum education in Dubai to all our students whether they join us in FS1, in Year 12, or any year group between.
Our vision is to encourage students to always try their best and aspire to excellence. We strive to develop lifelong learners who flourish in all they do and embrace, with passion and confidence, their responsibility to support others and make a difference both locally and globally.
ISP HR Manager Key Responsibilities
Recruitment & Appointment:
- To be responsible for the process of recruitment and selection of staff, including updating job descriptions, preparing, and placing advertisements, ensuring recruitment and interview schedules and packs are prepared for distribution, and maintaining records of applicants.
- To be responsible for the interview process, organising the schedule of interviews/presentations, in partnership with line managers, heads of dept and senior leadershipTo ensure all regrets, offer letters, variation letters and contracts are issued accurately and in a timely manner.
- To ensure compliance with all recruitment and safeguarding requirements, including the acquisition of DBS and/or ICPC checks, country of residence and/or home country police clearance checks, satisfactory references, medical clearance, and any other required checks, in accordance with Keeping Children Safe in Education guidance and other local/federal/governing regulations and/or best practice.
- To ensure the school maintains a comprehensive record on its single central register.
- To support the Principal and WSLT regarding any changes of contract requests and ensure relevant letters and contracts are produced and recorded for payroll.
- To liaise with Facilities regarding accommodation requirements ensuring accommodation agreements, deposits, inventories are dealt with in a timely and accurate manner.
- To maintain a knowledge and overview of staffing and organisational changes in the school, through post changes, new starters, leavers, and employment of temporary and casual staff.
- To ensure the process for all staff induction administration and probationary reviews is carried out in a timely and accurate manner.
- To carry out required checks, in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education and best practice for other members of the school community, i.e., Governors, contractors, regular volunteers, club providers, sports coaches and any other third parties undertaking a role at the school.
- To ensure visa and medical insurance applications are carried out in a timely and accurate manner.
- To review best recruitment practices and advertising platforms and report on ROI.
Staffing & Payroll:
- To provide support to the Principal and WSLT with regard to the annual pay review process associated with the annual budget.
- To ensure the monthly payroll is accurate in all matters that have impact on staff pay, including but not limited to contract/pay rate changes, absence reporting, sickness, maternity cases, final settlement calculation.
- To maintain staffing costs’ information (annual flight allowances, onboarding costs, recruitment costs, medical insurance premiums etc) to assist the Principal and WSLT as required.
- To maintain the staffing records and support the Principal and WSLT with resource planning.
HR Policies and Procedures:
- To ensure the school’s HR policies are developed, updated, and reviewed according to the school’s needs, taking into account any changes in labour law and best practice.
- To update the employee handbook as required.
- To develop guidelines, templates, forms, and checklists to support the HR function for use across the whole school.
- To be responsible for change and improvements of all internal HR practices and procedures.
Human Resources Administration:
- To support and advise the Principal and WSLT, on all HR matters, including disciplinary, capability, grievance, redundancy, and restructures.
- To support the Principal with reports for the Board and provide accurate and timely management information as and when required.
- To provide input to the Principal and WSLT regarding any changes to HR policies and procedures.
- To ensure staff files are created and maintained in keeping with relevant guidance including GDPR/Privacy and Data Protection federal law compliance.
- To ensure the Staff Absence Management Procedure is followed and, where absence indicators require additional action, to follow up appropriately with the line manager.
- To have oversight of CPD records and performance appraisal of academic staff.
- To lead and maintain accurate records of CPD and performance appraisal for administration staff.
- To ensure that the leavers process is carried out in a timely and accurate manner.
- To conduct staff surveys following induction, during the academic year and termination and report trends to Principal and WSLT.
- To lead on strategies to enhance employee wellbeing and engagement
- To be a professional point of contact for senior leaders and to provide excellent advice and guidance on all HR matters.
- To have the ability to resolve both simple and complex situations in accordance with the relevant policies and procedures.
- To build relationships with all employees and be the first point of contact so that they can have confidential discussions in order to seek resolutions to situations.
- To build relationships with peers in other schools through networking and gathering market intelligence and benchmarking data to ensure the school is an employer of choice.
- To support the HR Team in continued professional development to include training on updated changes to labour law and HR best practice
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Higher education (degree, diploma, or equivalent) in HR or business-related subject
- CIPD Level 5 qualified
- Proven experience in a general HR role at this, or a similar level.
- Excellent and up-to-date knowledge of labour law and the ability to apply it practically to workplace situations.
- Experience working in an educational establishment.
- An exceptional communicator, in writing, one-to-one situations, or in presentations to larger audiences.
- A proven track record of meeting deadlines and delivering results through effective management, organization, and planning of work.
- Ability to see the bigger picture and understand the school vision and how it relates to areas of the school.
- Ability to interpret guidance and legislation to ensure school policy and procedures are compliant.
- A high level of IT literacy.
- Ability to think and plan strategically and creatively.
- Be adept at having oversight of multiple projects at any one time.
- Be an experienced and proven leader who can build, inspire, and motivate a team.
- Be able to build effective relationships with colleagues on all levels. The ability to put people at ease, reassure, guide, and explain.
- High level of emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Be a good team player.
- Be a flexible, proactive problem-solver with an analytical mind and a creative approach to challenges.
- Culturally agile and adaptable.
- Understanding the complex and demanding environment of a school community
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
- Collaboration. Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximise opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
● A one page covering letter, explaining strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this position.
● Current CV not to exceed two pages.
● 3 professional references, not older than 5 years, with current contact details (position, phone number and email address) One of which must be your current Principal and another your current Line Manager.
Due to the expected volume of applications, we will only contact those applicants that are shortlisted for interview.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP & English College Dubai is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.