ISP Regional Head of HR Role Profile
Purpose of Role
The role is responsible for the delivery of the ISP people plan and people services across the region. The position enables schools and employees in the region to experience the benefits of being part of ISP whilst maintaining cultural practices and legal parameters consistent with the local market. The delivery of the HR services, from payroll through to the promotion of the ISP brand, is the responsibility of the Regional Head of HR. As a key member of the regional team, the Head of HR will report to and provide close support to the Regional MD.
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Are financially responsible. We make financial choices carefully based on the needs of the children, students and our schools.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
ISP Regional Head of HR Key Responsibilities
Reporting to the Regional MD, the Head of HR will also work closely with the Group Head of Talent, Group Head of People Operations, Group Head of Leadership Development and Group Head of Teacher Professional Learning and Development, as well as HR Managers across the school network, to create and implement HR and talent management strategies aligned with ISP global and regional strategy and to ensure compliance with regional and ISP regulations that contribute to the success of the group.
Strategy and leadership
- Plan, develop and deliver Regional HR strategy, direction, advice and support to regional School Leadership Teams and HR Managers, consistent with the ISP people strategy and aligned with global and regional ISP priorities.
- Develop, as a member of the global HR/People team, the policies, practices and behaviours which embed quality throughout the region’s schools and enable the region to deliver on its business strategy and achieve its goals.
- Ensure that people issues are given full consideration in all decision-making.
- Provide the metrics and prepare analytical and insightful reports in areas such as employee turnover, employee engagement, reasons for leaving, cost per effective hire, training hours per person. This data will be driven by the robust implementation and use of Cezanne and Jobvite in the region.
- Translate this data and insight into an effective and commercially focused regional HR and people strategy, working with senior management and influencing them on the best course of action.
- Support and guide regional and school leadership in carrying out change and restructuring as required, ensuring that this is fully supported by well-considered and articulated communications to preserve school, regional and ISP integrity at all times.
- Ensure that the recruitment standards in the region and schools are maintained to the highest practicable level, are professional and rigorous and are compliant with the ISP Safer Recruitment standards.
- Develop standard processes to support managers in interviewing and selection.
- Commission and / or devise and deliver training and coaching to develop leaders and managers recruitment and selection skills.
- Participate actively in senior level recruitment for the region, including Head, Deputy Head and critical regional and school roles.
- Coordinate and manage relationships with external suppliers (search firms, recruitment agencies etc.) to ensure effective delivery against assignment brief.
Talent development and retention
- Lead the regional talent review and succession planning processes in line with the ISP global approach.
- Oversee and manage the talent processes, services and tools, in strong partnership with regional school senior leadership and HR managers.
- Support and advise senior leadership on their talent development initiatives.
- Implement an effective regional leaver process to understand why employees leave and identify any trends or themes needing action.
Learning and development
- Work in partnership with global and regional HR to implement and deliver a combination of core learning and development solutions targeted at various levels of the organization and aligned to business needs.
- Direct and manage the coordination of talent and leadership development to achieve regional and school goals and create an effective pipeline of talent.
- Lead on training needs analysis, manage the annual development plan and budget and ensure that all employees have individual personal development plans in place.
- Actively promote interaction via The Learning Hub, as a key professional development mechanism and a means by which staff across the ISP school community can interact and support one another
- Drive best practice and advise leadership and management on all issues of employee performance.
- Ensure the performance review process is implemented effectively throughout the region so that employee benefit from goal-setting, continuous feedback and a focus on their own development.
Reward and recognition
- Keep up to date with market salaries and reward practices to support with benchmarking for existing and new roles.
- Work closely with finance, global HR and the regional leadership team to implement the annual salary review process.
- Create and build a culture of recognition and non-financial reward throughout the region.
- Deliver the ISP employer brand and purpose, mission and values in the region.
- Create and deliver positive approaches to wellbeing in the region to drive physical and mental wellbeing.
- Manage the regional delivery of the ISP NPS and employee engagement surveys, including ensuring that Heads and Deputy Heads follow up with focus groups and action plans.
- Assess the impact people policies and procedures have on employee experience.
- Working closely with regional and school senior leadership and school HR, take the lead on the collective bargaining strategy, in order to construct and approve agreements that benefit both our schools and employees.
- Possess and apply a thorough understanding of employment law particularly in relation to employment contracts, terms and conditions, discrimination, fair dismissal, grievances etc.
- Give advice and guidance and oversee complex employee relations issues such as grievance and disciplinary cases and manage difficult cases with professionalism
Legal and compliance
- Ensure all people processes and activities comply with regional and local legal requirements staying abreast of updates in employment legislation and best practice and acting to ensure any necessary changes are promptly and effectively implemented.
- Update policies and procedures regularly and as necessary ensuring compliance with local legislation and best practice and ISP benchmarks and guidance
Qualifications and Experience
- Successful delivery as a generalist HR leader with responsibility for the full HR agenda, having successfully delivered within fast- paced, multifaceted, commercial environments.
- Experience being part of a Leadership Team during periods of exponential and rapid growth, ideally through acquisition.
- Have experienced, and been successful in, environments where there is little established HR infrastructure, as well as having experience of best-practice HR approaches.
- To have successfully led collective bargaining negotiations, to be well versed in HR policies, practices and procedures and be well-practiced in the application of country specific employment and labour law.
- Proven ability to take a business ‘on the journey’, where the goal is to create a forward-thinking and commercially aligned HR strategy.
- Fluent written and spoken English essential together with fluency in the regional language
- Down-to-earth and approachable, with clear personal energy and conviction, able to present their arguments challenge the status quo in the appropriate way.
- A genuine team player who can take a hands-on approach and enjoys being collaborative and visible within the business.
- Has the intellectual capacity and operational grip to ‘hit the ground running’ and deliver results quickly and efficiently.
- Clear commercial acumen, able to link the HR strategy to the business agenda and make complex HR ideas understandable to a non-technical audience.
- A clear understanding of compensation and benefits and able to lead on top-level strategy around this.
- Multi-tasker, capable of operating across a broad spectrum of activities.
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
- Collaboration. Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximise opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
- Leading & Inspiring Others. Supports, encourages and inspires students, colleagues and teams so that they give their best.
- Understanding People. Is a very good judge of talent, can objectively articulate the strengths and motivations of people inside or outside the organisation.
- Influencing & Communication. Consistently informs, influences and inspires students, parents and colleagues through timely and effective communication.
- Agile. Responds and adapts to changing circumstances; manages and solves problems by providing solutions in a climate of ambiguity.
- Strategic, Commercial & Financial Awareness. Has the ability to apply understanding of the business and industry to improve effectiveness and profitability.
- Planning & Decision Making. Makes decisions on the best course of action and then plans, organises, prioritises and balances resources to achieve the desired outcome.
- Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness and skill to understand the values, behaviours, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.
ISP Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
ISP is committed to strengthening our inclusive culture by identifying, hiring, developing, and retaining high-performing teammates regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender expression, age, disability status, neurodivergence, socio-economic background or other demographic characteristics. Candidates who share our vision and principles and are interested in contributing to the success of ISP through this role are strongly encouraged to apply.