School Finance Manager Role Profile
Purpose of Role
The School Finance Manager has responsibility for all aspects of the school’s finances
including payroll, accounting, financial reporting.
Working with staff from across all departments of the School, the HoA will be expected to
ensure accurate accounting and reporting for both internal and external purposes.
Implementing the appropriate financial controls is also an important element of this role.
This role reports directly (solid line) into the Head of the school
This role reports functionally (dotted line) into the Regional Finance Director
This role is a member of the School Senior Leadership Team.
This role directly supervises (solid line) the school finance roles
Regional Finance Team
Regional HR Team
All School Staff
Begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
Treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
Operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
- Policy/Strategic direction and development
- Assist the Head of School in translating the vision for the school into agreed objectives and operational and business plans, in line with ISP planning cycles, taking lead responsibility for specific areas as determined by the Head of School from time to time.
- Plan the budgeting strategy and process to achieve desired outcomes in accordance with the School Development Plan.
- Take responsibility for, in collaboration with the Head of School and ISP, for all the school’s financial affairs.
- Take the lead in ensuring that school policies and strategies are reflected in all support services for which responsible.
- Leadership & management
- Provide strategic leadership for the school’s support services, creating and maintaining effective arrangements, processes and procedures.
- Foster a service orientated, ‘can do’, approach and a culture of support within teams, ensuring that there are mutually supportive working relationships between academic and support staff.
- Determine performance standards and monitor performance in accordance with the ISP performance management, conducting Annual Review interviews with direct reports.
- Support with the compliance of all regulations relating to health and safety, including fire, discrimination, licensing regulations and child protection regulations.
- Management of resources in collaboration with the Head of School and/or Head of HR.
- Finance & accounting
- Ensure that ISPs financial accounting policies and procedures are properly implemented, that adequate controls and records are maintained, that all expenditure delegated by ISP to the school is properly controlled in relation to the approved budget, and that any problems are brought immediately to the attention of the Head of School.
- Identify future resourcing needs and aspirations for the services for which the post-holder is responsible, for consideration in the school budget planning process.
- Coordinate the preparation of annual budgets, periodic forecasts and monthly and termly actual results and as required by ISP and the Head of School.
- Prepare and present accurate and timely financial management information to the Head of School, ISP, as required, to support planning and management decision-making.
- Ensure, in consultation with the Head of School, that an organized purchasing system is in place for all teaching materials, furniture, equipment, supplies and services to ensure value for money is obtained, and best use is made of resources, including negotiating agreements with suppliers.
- Explore potential new income streams which are supportive of the ethos of the school and prepare proposals for consideration by the SLT.
- Support the Head of School in the preparation and presentation of Business Cases for major capital expenditure and other major projects.
- Oversee the collection of all fees and related income.
- Revise and supervise the monthly payroll process.
- Support and revise the monthly KPI’s reports.
- Manage the Procurement process for all school providers
- Support all functions in terms of procurement requirements
- Reviewing, comparing, analyzing, and approving products and services to be purchased
- Evaluate and negotiate all contracts with providers making sure that they are compliant with relevant internal and external laws and financially efficient for school budgets.
- Monitor school spending with providers. Work with other functions to ensure providers are delivering adequately.
- Training & development of self and others
- Regularly review own practice, set personal development targets, and take responsibility for own continuous professional development.
- Ensure that training needs within the services for which responsible are identified, appropriately met, and that all direct collaborators of staff are active in their own personal and work-related development.
6. Supporting the work of ISP
- Develop strong, positive relationships with ISP colleagues, contribute to collaborative work across ISP Schools and support other staff in participating in ISP work, in order to develop and share best practice.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Business Administration or similar
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Extensive accounting, tax and financial knowledge foundations
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role and managing teams in an international organization
- Experience in consolidation of financial statements into the international corporation is a must
- Good knowledge of international financial reporting
- High planning, organization, reporting, and presentation skills and superior attention to detail.
- Excellent multitasking skills, hands on approach, dynamic and motivated. A team player who enjoys working in a matrix and international set up
- Ability to take ownership and manage own area of responsibility
- Advanced Excel modeling & analytical skills.
- Knowledge and experience in different accounting systems
- Experience in Education would be a plus
ISP Leadership Competencies
You consistently demonstrate and role-model the ISP Leadership Competencies in all that you do.
- Collaboration. Takes an active part in leading their school or region; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximize opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovation Leadership. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning initiatives and services are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical Management. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
- Leading & Inspiring Others. Supports, encourages and inspires students, colleagues and teams so that they give their best.
- Understanding People. Is a very good judge of talent, can objectively articulate the strengths and motivations of people inside or outside the organization.
- Influencing & Communication. Consistently informs, influences and inspires students, parents and colleagues through timely and effective communication.
- Agile. Responds and adapts to changing circumstances; manages and solves problems by providing solutions in a climate of ambiguity.
- Strategic, Commercial & Financial Awareness. Has the ability to apply understanding of the business and industry to improve effectiveness and profitability.
- Planning & Decision Making. Makes decisions on the best course of action and then plans, organizes, prioritizes and balances resources to achieve the desired outcome.
- Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness and skill to understand the values, behaviors, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.
ISP Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
ISP is committed to strengthening our inclusive culture by identifying, hiring, developing, and retaining high-performing teammates regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender expression, age, disability status, neurodivergence, socio-economic background or other demographic characteristics. Candidates who share our vision and principles and are interested in contributing to the success of ISP through this role are strongly encouraged to apply.